Who we are
The Orleans NDP Riding Association is part of a grassroots movement for social and political change developing across Ottawa, across the country and across borders.
What we are fighting for:
The political leaders of most parties who work hard at lowering our expectations by hiring consultants, pundits and "experts from well endowed think tanks", to keep telling us that we can't afford to safeguard the environment, that we can't afford universal healthcare and universal education, that the only way to remain competitive is to lower wages and worker's rights, reduce taxes for the richest, subsidize massively profitable corporations and dispossess citizens through privatization of publicly owned assets usually to offshore organization, by the elimination of services, by the plundering of peoples savings and pensions and by the surrender of national sovereignty through trade treaties. We will fight politicians who cynically attain power by fomenting fear and division in our communities to deflect our attention from the real causes of our problems.
The growing grassroots movements springing up in communities across the continent are taking these matters in their own hands, showing us that there is a better way, fighting for the most disadvantaged, exposing the fraud and abuse, organizing and mobilizing against powerful special interest groups, industrial and financial lobbies. We intend to work with and support advocacy organizations such as ACORN, 15andfairness, NOPE, Ottawa Health Coalition, Ecology Ottawa.
- To work with local community organizations to understand the needs, difficulties and aspirations of residents of Orleans
- To support and assist advocacy groups, faith groups, community organization , labour unions, small businesses which support our principles and values (see Orleans NDP: Our Core beliefs).
- To develop policies that answer the needs and concerns of our community and escalate them to the provincial and national party.
- To identify political candidates that embrace and support our vision.
- To get those candidates elected and make sure they remain accountable to their voters when they are in power.